SouthArk Adult Education Enrollment Process:
- Orientation Class. All students will take an Orientation Class in order to enroll in GED® and WAGE™. During orientation, students will learn what services Adult Education provides, how to earn a GED®, how to earn a WAGE™ Certificate, program policies about attendance and hours, and other program information. Students must complete orientation before taking TABE 11/12 or attending class.
- Testing. After orientation is complete, students can immediately start the testing process to enroll into class. Students will take the TABE 11/12, which is a computerized standardized test over basic skills in reading, language, and mathematics. This is not a pass or fail test. Rather students are provided Scale Scores and Educational Functioning Levels (1-6) based on their performance.
- Advisor. After TABE testing is complete, students will meet with the advisor either by walk-in or by appointment. The Advisor will review scores with the student and begin a Student Learning Plan. During this meeting, the Advisor will provide further explanation on what to expect in class and answer any questions students may have. Goals will be set, a class schedule will be provided, and the student will be informed of which classes to attend based on test scores.
- Instruction. After meeting with the Advisor, the student is able to begin class attendance. On the first day of class, the teacher will review the TABE scores and finish the Student Learning Plan with the student. Students are encouraged to attend class 10-20 hours a week in order to progress in their selected program to make educational gains, improve test scores, and graduate.
- Post-testing. Students can expect to be post-tested. After taking the TABE 11/12 for the first time (pre-test), students must attend class for 30-40 instructional hours. After minimum hours are obtained, the student can test again (post-test) to improve their score/level. If desired scores are not reached, instructional hours start over and a new series of 30-40 hours are needed before the next post-test is allowed. Students are encouraged to work on all three subjects (Reading, Language, and Math) during their 30-40 hour cycle in order to post-test in all three subjects.
Schedule for Orienation Class:
Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM OR 1:00 PM
State issued ID is required.
Students should be on time for Orientation Class. If late and class has started, the student will be asked to return to next available class time. After Orienation class is complete, students can immediately begin testing. The TABE 11/12 is estimated to be 6-7 hours total; therefore, students can expect testing to take 1-2 days to complete. Testing is provided by appointment or availability only.
SouthArk Adult Education Locations:
We serve both Union County and Bradley County residents.
SouthArk East Campus (primary location)
3696 East Main Stree, El Dorado, AR 71730
SouthArk West Campus (site class only)
300 S. West Ave, El Dorado, AR 71730
SouthArk Warren Campus
204 Bragg Street, Warren, AR 71671
Department of Workforce Services (site class only)
523 East 6th Street, El Dorado, AR 71730
Classes temporariliy unavailable.
Arkansas Community Corrections (site class only)
307 American Road, El Dorado, AR 71730
Classes temporarily unavailable.