One Part-Time Adult Education instructor position is available for a qualified individual who has an interest in assisting adult students increase their competency in the core areas of language, reading, and mathematics. The focus will be with assisting Adult Basic Education (ABE) students in obtaining their GED or Arkansas High School Diploma. The position is located in Bradley County and the Adult Education Warren location.
Duties: 1. Instruction: Instruct students in the main content areas of reading, language, and mathematics. Some instruction in science and social studies may also be needed due to the content on the Official GED Test. A blended learning format is encouraged through traditional classroom instruction and online learning using Essential Education.
- 2. Curriculum: Assist the Adult Education center in developing ABE/GED curriculum that is designed for EFL gains on the TABE 11/12 in the content areas of reading, language, and math. Curriculum must meet College and Career Ready (CCR) standards, Employability Skills Standards, Financial Literacy Standards, and Digital Literacy Standards.
- 3. Classroom: Maintain healthy classroom environment that promotes higher-level learning. Monitor and track student attendance. Review student hours on daily/weekly basis in order to track instructional hours needed for post-testing. Ensure students are learning content and making gains in subject areas to meet program performance goals. Maintain structured and organized student files that follow Adult Education policies/guidelines including up-to-date Student Learning Plans, TABE score reviews, and lesson plans for students.
- 4. Testing: Inform students when they are eligible to take TABE post-test and GED Ready exams. Refer students to test administrator and provide information for students to complete required tests. Follow up with students on their testing scores to adjust curriculum as needed.
- 3. Policy: Follow school policies and state/federal guidelines according to SouthArk APM, ADED Employee Manual, ADED Assessment Policy, etc.
- 4. Other duties: Assist with advising and retention of Adult Ed students, have knowledge of current trends in learning styles, and assist students in obtaining accommodations. Attend professional development and state required trainings such as LACES, TABE, CCR, LD, etc. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Education. Arkansas Teaching License required. Computer skills required specifically in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. Other preferred skills include previous teaching experience, a student-centered teaching philosophy, organizational skills, ability to maintain student records/files, and good communication skills with co-workers and students.
Term: Part-Time positions are contracted on a year-to-year basis depending on availability of State/Federal funds budgeted to the Adult Education Department.
Institution: South Arkansas Community College is the Adult Education Department’s LEA or Local Educational Agency. The college website is located at http://www.southark.edu/. The Adult Education Department website is located at http://www.southark.edu/ce/adult-education.
This is a 100% grant funded position
Applicants must complete the South Arkansas Community College application form available at www.southark.edu or from the Human Resources Office. Resumes, transcripts, and reference list may accompany, but will not replace the application. Official Transcripts must be on file with the Human resources Office before an offer is made to the successful candidate. Return application to the South Arkansas Community College Human Resources Office, P. O. Box 7010, 300 South West Ave, El Dorado, Arkansas 71731-7010. Telephone (870) 862-8131 ext. 146.
Fill out application located at this link: http://www.southark.edu/app
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. AA/EOE. Applications are subject to the Arkansas FOIA.
Chosen Candidate will be required to submit to a criminal background check and have acceptable background results, provide any certificates of training (if the candidates possess any) or Licenses, Official Transcripts (for positions requiring undergraduate or graduate education), must have a clean driving record, and must complete all new hire paperwork prior to starting work.