For information on how to join the SouthArk JAG College Success Program, contact:
JAG College and Career Coach
About JAG at SouthArk:
The Jobs for Arkansas Graduates (JAG) College Success Program is launching at SouthArk during the 2020-21 academic year. Nationwide, 70 percent of students facing academic and financial barriers that pursued a postsecondary education are unable to successfully complete their first year of college. JAG aims to serve those students to ensure their educational journey ends in graduation and job placement.
JAG Service Areas:
- College assistance – a JAG-trained college and career coach will be with students throughout their college experience. The JAG college and career coach will be the student’s college advocate and “go to” person when they have questions regarding registration, financial aid, career choices, or personal issues that may impact their college experience. The career coach will connect students with college, academic, career and personal resources to ensure that each student reaches his or her college graduation and career goals.
- Learning community – students will take courses with other JAG students. The JAG courses will provide participants with an orientation to college and resources, study strategies, pre-employment strategies, career planning, career seeking skills, etc. The learning community will support one another to help motivate and inspire each other to achieve their collegiate and career goals.
- Student organization – the purpose will be to provide a support group for students and to engage them in civic and social activities.
- Industry and community connections – the career coach will work with business partners to provide students with quality job and apprenticeship opportunities.
- Mentorship – students will be mentored by a professional in their chosen career field.
- Job shadowing – students will participate in job shadowing opportunities in their chosen career field.
- Curriculum connections – this will be a mix of career planning with opportunities such as career fairs, College Transfer fairs, internships, on-the-job training, apprenticeships, etc.